Senior Director of Development Operations
University of St. Mary of the Lake / Mundelein Seminary (Mundelein, IL)
The Senior Director of Development Operations (SDDO) is responsible for fulfilling the mission and vision of the University of St. Mary of the Lake / Mundelein Seminary (USML) by working to drive efforts to engage constituents; broaden and deepen the relationships within the University community and advance the work of the Office of Development through the meaningful contribution of gifts and talents.
Reporting to the Vice President of Development, the Senior Director of Development Operations is responsible for all development, administrative, financial, and data functions. Critical factors of this position include providing strategic leadership in areas that include the fundraising database, prospect management, research, and gift processing and reporting. The SDDO is responsible for maintaining and growing the infrastructure of the database, assessing micro–and macro–needs of the database, and monitoring the short-term and long-term impacts of database decisions. He/she must ensure the database meets the needs of all development office staff.
Core Leadership Functions:
- Facilitate development and achievement of professional and personal goals, for self and staff.
- Model University’s values of service, innovation, and teamwork. Hold others accountable for living these values.
- Foster a challenging and compassionate environment, recognizing strong performance, acting on feedback.
- Establish and maintain high standards for quality.
- Serve as the Raiser’s Edge database expert developing, implementing, and supporting strategic direction and plans for all Raiser’s Edge data reporting, trending analysis, and system support; hardware and software needs for the Raiser’s Edge database.
- Oversee the management of the operating and capital budgets for the department.
- Continuously evaluate the scope and quality of available research services and industry best practices for improved effectiveness, policies, and procedures.
- Support the mission of the University.
Essential Job Functions:
- Oversee the Raiser’s Edge database and provide database management in all aspects as it pertains to training of staff, gift processing, donor acknowledgment, moves management, and reporting.
- Manage, mentor, and supervise any staff handling prospect management, prospect research, acknowledgements, and gift processing.
- Oversee all efforts related to the receiving, processing, and receipting of gifts and acknowledgements.
- Oversee all processes and policies regarding data integrity: constituent data with annual review and update, gift entry, special event and moves management tracking.
- Lead continuous improvement of database functionality, expanding database and research capabilities, and related processes and systems, and collaborating with USML leadership and development colleagues to envision and anticipate future needs.
Leadership and Reporting:
- Collaborate with VP of Development to create and implement a long-range plan for the Development Office including, but not limited to reporting, database management, and staffing.
- Coordinate with leadership of USML and the Development Office to implement and develop procedures for proper reporting.
- Coordinate with appropriate development staff to ensure that any bequests/planned gifts are appropriately processed and recognized.
- Develop and execute accurate and timely fundraising and performance reports and analyses for appropriate development staff and/or USML leadership.
- Work closely with leadership to develop effective strategies for tracking and reporting relevant fundraising metrics.
- Train Development Office staff on software and technology for appropriate use of the database, as appropriate.
- Lead periodic data cleanup, testing, and reporting to ensure integrity of the database.
- Establish and maintain positive relationships with all departments within USML to assure effective and accurate information is disbursed/received.
Special Events and Donor-Related Activities:
- Track in coordination with the VP of Development and other relevant development staff, donor cultivation, solicitation, and follow-up.
- Work with leadership team to coordinate, brand, and message special events.
- Develop and execute a calendar of cultivation ad fundraising events, with supervised staff.
- Must be sensitive to organizational needs, employee goodwill, and demonstrate understanding, respect, and support for Catholic Church Teaching, Mission, and Values; possessing a philosophy that is consistent with the Mission, Vision, and Values of USML.
- Bachelor’s Degree in applicable field required; MBA or other relevant master’s degree preferred.
- Experience with Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge database required.
- Knowledge of and expertise managing a moves management fundraising model a must.
- Must understand online giving/event registration platforms (Online Express, Eventbrite, Give Smart, etc.) Make recommendations based on data trends to increase online engagement and solicitations.
- Required proficiency in Microsoft Excel database management and programming concepts, fluency with Excel formulas: VLOOKUP, IF, AND, OR etc., and pivot tables.
- Knowledge of Crystal Reports XI preferred.
- High degree of credibility, integrity, and self-confidence is essential.
- A commitment to the belief that all people have the right to dignity, respect, opportunity, and full community inclusion.
- 7+ years working in fundraising positions including management, with a proven track record of accomplishments.
- 3+ years of staff management.
Interested candidates can send cover letter with salary history and resume to: [email protected]toloassoc.com
Please include “USML” in the subject line.